Can standard roo mate with Silkie hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenichick, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Hubby and I want to know if our broody Silikes were possibly mated with our only roo, a standard Buttercup?? We've never seen him actually do anything with them, but he's tried. Has anyone evey seen a small standard mate with a Silkie??? [​IMG]

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Most Likely! Our Bantam Cochin mated our Polish Top Hat! We have the hatched eggs for prof . Its one little ugly chic, but very sweet!
    I didn't think it would be possible at all because our Roo was
    soooo small and the Top Hats so large, but it did![​IMG]

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, I only have silkie hens and standard roosters. (I now have a frizzle for them [​IMG] ) But i have hatched out some of the babies......not pretty!!!! [​IMG] Some of them only had an extra toe on one foot and some were small with regular feathers and they were all just not pretty! LOL [​IMG]

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Oh Yeah!

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yes and here's what can happen...
    [​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Frozenfeathers, Wow! What a beautiful bird!

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

funny

[​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yes. when my copper black marans started coming of age, they began breeding my three silkie hens that were in with them. They are big birds and i moved the silkies because I was afraid they would get hurt or worse. I did not try to incubate the eggs because I was not interested in marans/silkie crosses.

9. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Wow thanks, I guess their eggs might be fertile. I don't know if want to raise Butter-silks, or Silkybutters.......just curious, thanks....[​IMG]

10. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Yep, I have some Silkie/Brahma crosses where the dad was a Dark Brahma. My 5 Silkie hens run with the rest of my chickens and they will tell the larger chicken just what's what. I got large hens that run from my white Silkie hen, Snowflake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by