Can standard roo mate with Silkie hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenichick, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jenichick

jenichick Songster

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Hubby and I want to know if our broody Silikes were possibly mated with our only roo, a standard Buttercup?? We've never seen him actually do anything with them, but he's tried. Has anyone evey seen a small standard mate with a Silkie??? [​IMG]

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Most Likely! Our Bantam Cochin mated our Polish Top Hat! We have the hatched eggs for prof . Its one little ugly chic, but very sweet!
    I didn't think it would be possible at all because our Roo was
    soooo small and the Top Hats so large, but it did![​IMG]

3. Yep, I only have silkie hens and standard roosters. (I now have a frizzle for them [​IMG] ) But i have hatched out some of the babies......not pretty!!!! [​IMG] Some of them only had an extra toe on one foot and some were small with regular feathers and they were all just not pretty! LOL [​IMG]

4. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Oh Yeah!

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yes and here's what can happen...
    [​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Frozenfeathers, Wow! What a beautiful bird!

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

funny

[​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yes. when my copper black marans started coming of age, they began breeding my three silkie hens that were in with them. They are big birds and i moved the silkies because I was afraid they would get hurt or worse. I did not try to incubate the eggs because I was not interested in marans/silkie crosses.

9. jenichick

jenichick Songster

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Wow thanks, I guess their eggs might be fertile. I don't know if want to raise Butter-silks, or Silkybutters.......just curious, thanks....[​IMG]

10. featherfooted

featherfooted Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Yep, I have some Silkie/Brahma crosses where the dad was a Dark Brahma. My 5 Silkie hens run with the rest of my chickens and they will tell the larger chicken just what's what. I got large hens that run from my white Silkie hen, Snowflake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by