Can stress cause feather loss?

Fowl-Language

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Longview, WA
My sweet Betsy has been dripping her beautiful feathers all over the yard today. Her skin looks clear, no evidence of mites, and she's the only one with this problem. The ends of her wing feathers and some on her back almost look as if they've been chewed on, they're all raggedy. My senior hen picks on her, running her off and trying to prevent her from coming into the coop at night.

Could being the low chicken on the totem pole be causing her feather loss?

Thanks!!
Anthea

Well, ratty feathers could be end of summer wear, and loss of feathers around this time is normal for moult. Don't be too surprised if you wake up, looks like a feather pillow exploded, and all you have left in the pen is a chicken shaped pin cushion.

I think she is most likely just molting. It is that time of year for them. Some birds molt harder than others and it is a stressful period for them. I don't think there is anything to worry about, all chickens go through it about twice a year. Just incase, you may want to watch her so that the other hen doesn't do any damage.

I was under the (mistaken?) impression they don't molt their first year...she's only 6 months old. I might have to sew up a couple pillows real quick...I've got plenty to stuff them with!
Thanks for the advice.

I had the same issue with my 6-month old pullets, but it turned out that a few of my hens are picking feathers. It hasn't been good. I recommend that you spend a bit of time (at least 30 minutes to an hour) just sitting quietly and observing your flock. Hopefully, this is not the case for you.

Back
Top Bottom