Can stress contribute to high blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by anbhean, Jul 15, 2010.

1. anbhean

anbhean Chirping

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    I know there are a lot of people on the board that have medical experience, so I thought I'd ask... Can being super duper stressed out make your blood sugar spike? I just recently took a 29 week gestational diabetes glucose test and although I felt totally fine, didn't eat for hours after with no ill effects, or shakiness, or anything and didn't feel at all like my blood sugar was high... I got a ridiculously high result and now have to take the three hour test this weekend. Which is fine, I need to know one way or the other-- but I can't help but wonder if the massive amounts of stress I've been under lately could be contributing to the spike?

I read somewhere that stress is a factor, but didn't get any details at the time. I know my BP was off the charts that visit too... I guess I'm just kind of hoping that if I chill out and take a few days to de-stress, my results will normalize.

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Yes it can make a big difference.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The other thing that can affect you is that even though you didn't eat, your body needs fuel to run, particularly with the baby growing. In order to feed your furnace when fasting, your body uses your liver to produce sugar, in the form called glycogen. It can be readily available is a jiffy, and it is also what raises your blood sugar when stressed- your own body's sugar.

Focus on proteins every 2-3 hours to keep your blood glucose stable while cooking this tot!

Good luck!

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    your 3 hour test may be just fine, try not to stress while waiting on that result- the first is just a screening.
    zen...... (or until zen) destress

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Crowing

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yes it can aggravate blood sugar levels. Definitely go ahead and eat for the sake of your little one and yourself. Get some carbs like beans and whole grain foods. Also be sure you get some protein and a little fat. You need a balanced diet for good health. Veggies are great too for snacks and the munchitis we all get when preg. gloria Jean

6. anbhean

anbhean Chirping

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone! I'm trying like heck to de-stress between now and Sunday (when I have to take the three hour), but it's been difficult. It's been a very tumultuous time for me lately both personally and medically. But until then, I'm definitely sticking to a very low glycemic index diet, trying to purge any "junk" that may have also contributed to my high reading last time. Nothing drastic, just sticking with lean protein and a ton of the veggies. I keep telling myself donuts are my enemy! Donuts are bad! [​IMG]

It was a non-fast test last time and like an idiot I ate both too close to the test time (less than a half hour before) AND ate a half a piece of cantaloupe. I had no idea cantaloupe had so much sugar in it! I hear those one hours are notoriously inaccurate and touchy, especially the non-fast variety. So I'm really praying the three hour comes back normal.

7. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Yep, most fruit is really high in sugar (so's carrots!). I have low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and also have to avoid sugars and eat every few hours. A great snack? Hard boiled eggs!
    [​IMG]

8. JetBlack

JetBlack Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    As a Type I diabetic, I can tell you that your brain is the only organ in your body that uses glucose. For me, stress means low blood sugar. But for normal people and cats, when you are frightened, your BS can go up. I have to think it's a liver thing, since your liver regulates blood sugar, a lot. It holds onto your glycogen and can dump it into your blood, to feed muscles, brain, etc..

Drink alcohol and your blood sugar goes down. Alcohol inhibits liver function. Same with steroids, Tylenol, some cholesterol drugs, etc.

Yep, I'm a diabete.

9. Debbi

Debbi Crowing

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You might also want to check for Adrenal Fatigue. When you are stressed, the adrenals put out excessive amounts of cortisol, which has detrimental effects on many other bodily functions. The proper test for this, is a "24 hour saliva" test. It will show the amounts of cortisol in your system at four different times of the day. Getting the docs to do this test though, may not be easy, and most docs poo-poo the adrenal problems in the first place. Also, with adrenal fatigue comes thyroid malfunctions. You might ask them to test your thyroid. Tests that need to be done include: TSH, FREE T3, FREE T4. Again, docs tend to stick with what they learned in med school, and with the pharma companies pushing the synthetics, they only tend to test the TSH. TSH is NOT a thyroid hormone, it is a pituitary hormone. Without the FREE Ts testing, you will not have accurate results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: