Can summer temps be too hot for CX?

Rochelle1031

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2013
Boise
I'm finally getting around to starting a small batch of CX - we have a local hatchery here in SW Idaho and I was going to pick up a dozen tomorrow. However my lamb supplier at the Farmers Market last week warned me that CX do not do well in HOT weather. We are in the upper 90's with temps reaching into the 100's this weekend. I planned to keep chicks in a small metal shed that is only shaded in morning and it could get quite hot in there. I have shade for them when they get old enough to go outside of the shed. Now I am rethinking my plans and might wait until fall when daytime temps stay under 90. Anyone have experience in raising CX in summer heat?

Last edited:
I've raised CX in hot humid Florida. Chickens are not nearly as heat tolerant as they are cold tolerant. The CX is not famed as a "hearty", "robust", or "low maintenance" bird. Frankly, they do poorly as a baseline, and worse in the heat.

That said, in my limited experience, as long as they have shade, good ventilation, cool (shaded) earth to dig into during the worst of the day, and cool (not cold) water to drink, they can survive and put on weight. Electrolyte support helps, too.

While I did eventually cull the others at ages long past when a CX typically prepares to join the family at the table, I still have one CX hen on property from last April. 14 months old now, beginning her first (hard molt), still a regular layer of eggs (reduced due to molt of course) and an active free-ranger (if less graceful, and less active than the rest of my flock).

So, it can be done.

Still, I'd wait - particularly if your metal shed isn't well ventilated. Consider other breeds for now, if you simply must have chickens soon. Ultimately, based on all I've read from posters who routinely raise meat birds, the weight gain should be better in the fall anyways, and ultimately, that's what you buy, feed, and process CX for. No sense working against Mother, she can be a real B!+c#.

I've raised CX in hot humid Florida. Chickens are not nearly as heat tolerant as they are cold tolerant. The CX is not famed as a "hearty", "robust", or "low maintenance" bird. Frankly, they do poorly as a baseline, and worse in the heat.

That said, in my limited experience, as long as they have shade, good ventilation, cool (shaded) earth to dig into during the worst of the day, and cool (not cold) water to drink, they can survive and put on weight. Electrolyte support helps, too.

While I did eventually cull the others at ages long past when a CX typically prepares to join the family at the table, I still have one CX hen on property from last April. 14 months old now, beginning her first (hard molt), still a regular layer of eggs (reduced due to molt of course) and an active free-ranger (if less graceful, and less active than the rest of my flock).

So, it can be done.

Still, I'd wait - particularly if your metal shed isn't well ventilated. Consider other breeds for now, if you simply must have chickens soon. Ultimately, based on all I've read from posters who routinely raise meat birds, the weight gain should be better in the fall anyways, and ultimately, that's what you buy, feed, and process CX for. No sense working against Mother, she can be a real B!+c#.
Thank you U_Stormcrow - while your experience is helpful your comment about Mother Nature is convincing. I have way too many other projects I am working on, including growing a vegetable garden in a desert, landscaping and remodeling. I'll wait till things cool off and munch on fresh vegetables and wait for chicken with my winter squash.

Thank you U_Stormcrow - while your experience is helpful your comment about Mother Nature is convincing. I have way too many other projects I am working on, including growing a vegetable garden in a desert, landscaping and remodeling. I'll wait till things cool off and munch on fresh vegetables and wait for chicken with my winter squash.
I (obviously) think that's the right call to make - particularly with everything else you are doing. and full disclosure, I did process my last CX today [don't look if squeamish]. This thread was NOT the cause, its been in consideration for some time. I was doing some necessary culling for flock management, decided the CX was NOT having a good time of it, ended her struggles.

I (obviously) think that's the right call to make - particularly with everything else you are doing. and full disclosure, I did process my last CX today [don't look if squeamish]. This thread was NOT the cause, its been in consideration for some time. I was doing some necessary culling for flock management, decided the CX was NOT having a good time of it, ended her struggles.
U_Stormcrow - I support your decision to take the CX. I started processing chickens as a child on a family farm and I do all my own processing now so no worries - I looked at your marvelous future dinner.

Back
Top Bottom