Can`t Control My Jersey Giants!

marleylulu

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 17, 2012
Ontairio
I have 5 chickens total, 3 rhode island red hens and 1 Jersey giant hen and 1 jersey giant rooster. The jeresey giants are SUPER shy. So how to I tame them so they are more friendly? (they are all 28 weeks old and still not laying!!)

Unfortunately, some chickens are just more skittish than others. Try offering them tasty, tasty treats such as meal worms and see if you can get them to approach you. They may never enjoy being picked up and petted, but if they associate you with food they should lose some of their shyness.

Jersey Giants are generally friendly and docile. If they are running away they are most likely scared or unsure of you. Have you had them long? Did you acquire them as chicks or juveniles? Most chickens can be friendly if raised from chicks with lots of handling and interaction. If these are new to you and/or grew up not being handled much or not seeing people often then you might not ever be able to "train" them. However, being shy to a new caregiver is normal for older chickens in new homes. Give them time. Let them see you often just working around the yard or chicken area, and I agree with Gofygure. Try some really tasty treats like mealworms or kitchen scraps like lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley. Just make sure the scraps are washed and free of chemicals or pesticides. Chickens learn quickly, so try and give them treats in the same spot using the same bowl or scoop, and calling them the same way. I use a little green plastic scoop for scratch, I sit in a rocking camp chair, and I say "CHICK CHICK CHICKIES!!" They all come running the minute they see the camp chair.
wink.png

Hope this helps!

Thank you I will try all your ideas! And I have had them since they hatched, they where handled alot and my other 3 chickens are super friendly. But I guess thats how they are, and at least I have 3 friendly ones!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom