Can tails be used as an indicator of gender in *younger* chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Sep 4, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I bought three straight run Barter Black (Australorp x RIR) chicks last weekend. From what I gather they all look like girls, seeing as they had the smallest combs and the thinnest legs however I've just realsied one doesn't have a tail. Normally this wouldn't bug me so much but this one is also the bravest and friendliest [​IMG] I don't have great pics , I'll try to take more pics tomorrow [​IMG] They are about 2-3 weeks, too young I know [​IMG] Just if anyone else has used this method and how successful it is?
    Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have noticed it's mostly the pullets that get tail feathers first. But then again I've had cockerels that grow their tail feathers first too.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Way too early to tell.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I don't think its "way" to early to tell.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Not knowing if they all hatched on the same day, the tail is of no use is guessing gender. Even if they hatch 1 to 2 days apart, it will make a huge difference in feather development early on.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I did mention [​IMG]

They all hatched on the same day, however there were more in the pen with significantly larger combs. I guess I'm just gettin' paranoid [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by