1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can the feathering on BO chicks...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 10, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    be used as any indication of gender? They're a week old, give or take a day.

I've got some with gorgeous wing feathering like this...
    [​IMG]

And I've got a few with patchy wings like this...
    [​IMG]

I was just wondering, I know it's probably too soon to tell. [​IMG] Wishful thinking and all... [​IMG]

2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Yeah, I think that particular chick had longer tail feathers... but I've found the ones that have more even fuller feathered wings are also getting tail feathers in. They don't have the 'puffs' like some of the patchy winged chicks... [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Shellie, they can be wing sexed if they are bred for it. Mine aren't..sorry. I know hatcheries breed for it..you have to use a fast feathering over slow feathering to be able to tell gender this way.

Jody

5. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:No biggie. I just noticed that some were feathering in faster than others, I wasn't so much concerned about the shape of the wings.
    On a side note, I can't believe how fast they're growing. They're like 4 times the size of my EEs. [​IMG] I LOVE THEM!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They do grow fast, don't they. I am glad you like them. I will say that "most" of the pullets feather faster, however it is not a definite. I hope most of your babies are looking like pullets. [​IMG]

Jody

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Ooh me too. [​IMG] But I am hoping for some freezer meat... so I need a few roos. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by