Can the heat lamp be detrimental?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassyKat6181, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I know that my chicks should be fine in the coop, since they are 8 weeks and fully feathered, but I sleep better with the lamp on. It's gotten down into the 20-30's here in Western Ma this past week. I don't think the coop has gone below 40 though. Is it harmful to them if I keep the lamp on, especially when it's really cold?

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

You can plug it into a thermo cube so it only comes on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees.

3. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Your babies, and older chickens, too, will be fine with a heat lamp on...just make sure you have a ceramic based lamp called a brooder light, not a flimsy clamp on light...houses have burnt down.and make sure the 250 watt bulb is at least 18" from combustibles...I use sand on my brooser floor...and dust the bulb daily if you can, turn it off, cool, wipe off the crud, plug back in...and always always wire tie, cable tie or rope tie the lamp UP, do not just clamp it or hang it from a hook and leave..last year a trio of ducklings flew up, knocked a heat lamp over and burned down a $650K home and garage.
    In another incident here in WA state, piglets somehow managed to bump a light loose, and it hit the hay and burned down the barn and : the tractor, the feed mill ( now we have had to get feed elsewhere) all the pigs and weaners died, and the owner had taken cash deposits on feed and pigs....she lost a years hay..and alfalfa, and feed, bags, ramps, the mill, a truck...ouch, we are so sorry about Becky........pleeze tie up the light so no way can it fall...feel how hot it is so it does not heat a surface too hot, make double sure you do not have a light weight clamp on light but a brooser bulb light that has a ceramic (white) base sticking out, and no on and off swtch..if it has an on and off switch it is the wrong size/gauge wire for the bulb/heat and can cause a fire.

4. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Do chickens require "restorative" dark periods like some other animals?

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I assume they do. I have a ceramic heat emitting bulb in my heat lamp but I have a rubber coated 15 watt cfl bulb in the coop that extends their day to about 14 hours.

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have two brooder lamps, one for the heat and one for the white light, since our days are getting much shorter here. The ceilings in the coop are 8 feet, so I drilled heavy eye hooks into the rafter and attached the lamps with double end snaps. (at the opposite ends of the coop) It's about 12' x 24'. There is no way they are falling down. The lamps hang about 18" from the ceiling, so they are not anywhere near the floor or shavings. I would say that the chicks cannot get overheated with the height of the lamp.....just enough to take the chill off is necessary.

I read in another post that chickens cannot see the red light....anyone else have thoughts on this.

Also, they are only 8 weeks- should I make sure they are getting 14 hours now, or should I program the light closer to laying age? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by