Can the heat stop them from laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hamptons06, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    My 2 layers suddenly have very sporadic egg laying. Maybe 3/week instead of 1 every day. My 6, 21wo pullets aren't laying yet either and they have all the signs that they are going to. Can the heat cause them to lay less frequent? [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    My understanding is that yes extreme heat will slow down the laying process.

3. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    That's my understanding too. [​IMG]
    Make sure they have access to lots of water. I have read where people put ice into the water to help keep things cooler.

Other reason they might slow down is are they molting?

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Since it has been pretty hot around here, my girls are not laying as well. I have been putting out lots of cool water as well.

5. animalbaby4everandalwyz

animalbaby4everandalwyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    I have many many many hens and all of them have stopped laying... i keep fresh water and i give them ice all throughout the day... but it has not helped yet...I also feed mine oats that is supposed to help with the heat... so i think after it cools down maybe everything will go back to normal...

6. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Absolutely. It's a seasonal thing, they'll snap back in a few weeks depending on where you are at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by