1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can the laying eggs chicken be a broody chicken?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ameer894, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Ameer894

Ameer894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2013
    Hello people
    I'm wondering if this chicken will be broody someday?? or it is impossible ?
    And it is here about 15-20 C degrees, so can they hatch at this time of year? How can I let them do that? I have zero experience.
    Thnx

[​IMG]

2. Davey G

Davey G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    It is never impossible for a chicken to go broody. One year we had a Silver Laced Polish go broody twice. Later we learned that "due to the Polishes showy background history they will never go broody." Ha-Ha!! My brother and I concluded that it is the birds personality that depends if it goes broody. Also if the bird was hatched by a broody 9 times out of 10 they will be excellent mothers. Yes chicks can hatch in 15-20 degrees Celsius weather. one year we had one hatch in freezing weather in spring. A rat carried it away though. I hope that answers your question.[​IMG]

3. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    Ha-Ha great Thnx :)
    But how can I help her do it, I mean by leaving it's eggs in a convenient nest maybe? what procedure should I do?

4. Davey G

Davey G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    Well My free range chickens Are absolutely broody crazy while my penned ones are not so much even though they are d'Uccles! I would say if you have an open area that you would be fine with her being in then put her in it and constantly monitor all the crevices and cracks for eggs. (We have a barn area that they share with our goats.) But their is the possibility (I hope it doesn't happen) that the chicken doesn't have the broody personality. It all depends on the chicken. Hope that helps a little at least.

5. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    Thank you, I hope my chickens are welling to be good mothers.
    Any other information would be welcomed guys :)

6. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    The white hen in your picture looks like a leghorn, is that correct? Leghorns as a breed are highly unlikely to go broody, as the trait has been bred out of them to keep them laying more, but I have heard of broody leghorns from time to time. If you really want a broody hen, your best bet is to go with a breed that's prone to broodiness, like silkies or cochins. There's nothing you can do to trigger broodiness in the hen, though--she will when she wants to and not a second sooner.

7. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    That's great, I got the idea. I think it's better for me to start searching for one which is specialized for that purpose. I thought the same regarding the issue of genetics and how their ancestors from long time have not hatched any eggs so my leghorn is way far from doing it.
    thank you a lot

8. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I've never owned any, but silkies are supposed to be hard-core broodies. My bantam cochins went broody at just 7 months of age and did a great job raising their chicks, so I can recommend those, but with any small breed you run into the problem that you can't fit as many eggs under them, and the chicks may outgrow their mother's ability to warm them before they feather out enough to not need it anymore, so supplemental heating may be necessary.

9. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    thank you, put I hope I'll be able to find silkies or cochins here where I live. Moreover I love the hen which has so much feather. It's about 15-20 degrees here, and spring is even coming.

10. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by