Can the site/observation of a chick make a hen broody?

pa2chitown

Chirping
Nov 28, 2015
The question is probably premature, since i dont know if my BR is actually broody?

Quote regarding my new chick...

I take it out to socialize it with me, and to stretch its legs a little more, and have shown it to the parents. ...one hen laid and then went back in the box after another laid. It got off when i lifted the lid, so not broody. Just curious if a chick could make a hen go broody?

Well, she saw the chick again yesterday. She already laid today, and is jostling with my EE, who probably just wants to lay. I dont know if my Dom has laid yet?

I have never noticed that any hen went broody because of the presence of chicks. However I have read posts from people that do believe the presence of chicks does cause broodiness. I, personally, don't think so. It is hormones, but what causes that hormone production is a topic of much debate.

Interesting! She was making funny noises. What does a "whore moan" sound like? LOL :)) i apologize.

Interesting note. I took the chick out and she came out of nesting box immediately...but showed no interest in the chick. Then she went back in the coop, but not in the box.
There was an egg from my Dom in the box.

Just coincidence....

Back
Top Bottom