1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can there be a dominate chick? (seramas)........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rooster brandon., Oct 23, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    I have 3 serama chicks and i think theres 2 roos and 1 hen will the 1 month old roos kinda have a kid fight for dominance all they do is stretch there necks out and look at each other for a moment and then they jump up and kick there legs at each other just for a minute what in the world are they doing the hen won`t do this.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My Silkies do this, then they stop and go back to eating. So I'm wondering the same thing.
    Mine are supposed to be hens though.

3. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    So would the serama roos just be practice for the future?

4. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    It is a display of dominance and completely normal. Most of my hatches have had a bossy chick or two that kind of ran the baby flock and picked on the other roos. If the 3rd chick isn't doing it you're more than likely going to end up with a hen but that isn't always true. You should post some pics of their combs so we can take a look.
    BTW Secuono-how old are your Silkies because I had a "hen" that decided to crow at 6mos old. My girls have never displayed that sort of behavior so I'd question them being all hens for sure. Definitely can't trust those sneaky critters lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by