can these animals be put together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annie3001, Oct 22, 2009.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    just wondering if a rabbit and chickens (i have 5) can be cooped in the same living area?
    i want another rabbit, but they would have to live outside.
    i have one 5 year old house rabbit,, its inside and my husband said no more inside.
    i just want another rabbit so bad. but before i do, just want to know if i can house them inside at night with the chickens? or if its a baby bunny, looks like id have to cage him/her to they got bigger? any suggestions is appriciated!

sincerely
    a.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Well, if you have naughty rabbits, you might need the chicken police.

Sorry, I don't have any real advice, but your post reminded me of the video.

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I saw a photo in Backyard Poultry magazine of a rabbit roosting with chickens. The lady had used an infrared camera to get the pic! It was pretty funny. I can't believe he could have been comfortable. He was sitting on the 2inch side of a 2x4, surrounded by totally unconcerned chickens![​IMG]

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I had 3 young rabbits in with my chickens for a few weeks and they were fine. I had a little house for the rabbits with a hole to small for my buff orps to fit through so they could get away from the chickens. I also kept their food in the little house. I kept the chicken food high up on a little table so the rabbits could not eat it. I used a water bottle for awhile but the rabbits prefered to drink the chickens water. Worked fine for me.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have also read on here about rabbits attacking and killing chickens. I think it would just depend on your rabbit's temperment. [​IMG]

Shelly

7. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I have a friend who keeps her baby chicks in the rabbit hutch with the rabbit until they are big enough to go into the area she keeps her chickens. The rabbits never bothers the chicks. Like a little family.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    okay!
    zarouse thanks for the photo!
    i am thinking on getting a rabbit in the next few weeks, thanks for all the feedback! [​IMG]

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    it might work, but chickens will eat the rabbit food in a minute, so you'll have to take that into consideration. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

10. WindDancer

WindDancer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    I highly suggest AGAINST housing them together. I raise rabbits and of course we have chickens (duh that's why I am on here LOL) and I tell everyone.. AT NO TIME SHOULD THEY CO-HABITATE the same space. There are HIGH chances of spreading illnesses and diseases. Cocidia for one! It will KILL a rabbit quick and it's very painful!!

If it were me.. I'd keep them seperate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by