Can these BRs leave the brooder?

Mamapermaculture

Chirping
May 19, 2021
Hi!

It is winter here in New Zealand. Forecast is 53°F for the next week overnight.
I weaned these BRs of the heatplate inside, they will be 5 weeks on Sunday.
Can I put them outside in the coup without a heat source? Or should I wait a bit longer?

Attachments

• 20210715_084858.jpg
    20210715_084858.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 45
Don't put them out until they are fully feathered.
Also, just so you know, you've got 5 boys in there.
Looks like all pictured chicks are boys, honestly.
And OP, you could put them out, but with a heat lamp or some other heat source. If you aren't putting out a heat source, I would keep them inside until they're fully feathered, like Happy Clucker said.

Looks like all pictured chicks are boys, honestly.
And OP, you could put them out, but with a heat lamp or some other heat source. If you aren't putting out a heat source, I would keep them inside until they're fully feathered, like Happy Clucker said.
No, one is a hen (far left)!!! Don't make her a boy too 😂😂😂 I'm aware I have 5 juicy roasts in the making 😂. I had another hen, but she died after being born with a crippled leg. Ugh.

Ok, I wait till they are fully feathered.
Settled on the idea to take them out to the coup during the day and take them in at night. Then they get used to the temp a bit gentler.

They don't look 5 weeks by the feathering. Normally I'd say yes move them iout, but without more feathering, they'll still a bit of time to be slowly weaned off heat indoors and/or spend periods of time outdoors acclimating, before moving out.
They don't look 5 weeks by the feathering. Normally I'd say yes move them iout, but without more feathering, they'll still a bit of time to be slowly weaned off heat indoors and/or spend periods of time outdoors acclimating, before moving out.
They'll be 5 weeks on Sun/Monday, so you are right, they are not quite 5 weeks.

They'll be 5 weeks on Sun/Monday, so you are right, they are not quite 5 weeks.
Hmm, I'd still expect a little more feathering, though now that I think about it I don't know if BRs are known for slow feathering (especially with cockerels). Plus I raise my chicks outside, so they seem to feather in faster due to exposure to a wider range of temperatures. Example of feathering in my 5 week olds (various breeds), for comparison:
featheredout.jpg

Back
Top Bottom