Can these guys go outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anlicia, Mar 27, 2017.

1. anlicia

anlicia Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    These are 5 week old Rhode Island Reds and I'm curious if they can go outside. Temps. lately have been in the mid 40's to mid 50's (Fahrenheit) with overnight lows in the low to mid 30's. If they can, any suggestions on how to introduce them to the rest of the flock (they're about 3 weeks older then these guys).

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Have you been taking them outside during the day? They are off heat, yes? Do you have a chick safe run and coop? Simply take them out for a few days of all day outside, then when you can be home to supervise, introduce them to the older chicks. Give them plenty of room, and plenty of goodies to eat, and they should work things out wonderfully. Be prepared for them to pitch a fit that first night. Chickens don't do change well. They'll yell like you're killing them by making them stay outside ALL NIGHT LONG. Just be sure they go into the coop before lock down.

3. anlicia

anlicia Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah
    I haven't been taking them out yet. It's been so cold and rainy the past week that I didn't think it was a good idea. Yes they are off heat and yes there is a safe run and coop. I'm assuming I should wait for the rain to move out before I start bringing them out all day?

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If its been getting that cold at night combined with the damp weather. They are not ready to go out yet.

5. jasonvanorder

jasonvanorder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    LOL I just dealt with this last night. Yesterday was the first day for ours to be out in the coop. About 8 I went out and put them all in the coop and they were just fighting to get back out. They were just not ready to settle in for the night. Half hour later went and they were all huddled in a corner of the run. Put them all in the coop and you would have thought i was hanging them upside down for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by