Can they all have layer feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PotterWatch, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have six chickens in two separate coops. In one coop I have an RIR who is about 12wks old and two Australorps who are about 6wks old. I've been wondering how to switch my RIR over to layer when the time comes. Being in the same coop, I can't really feed them separately but the younger ones won't be ready for layer at that point. Should I go ahead and feed layer even though the younger ones will eat it or should I stay with chick feed even though the RIR will need layer? Thanks for any help!

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I'd stick with grower for all until they are all ready for pellets

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Most will say to feed the starter until they start to lay. The layer feed has extra calcium in it for the eggs... keep a supply of calcium (oyster shells, etc) on hand for the older chicks and then when everyone is laying you can switch over to the layer feed if you want to. Personally, I feed general poultry feed and keep the calcium supply available all the time, and they're fine.
    [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds great! Glad it's going to be easy. I was invisioning having to have two different feeding areas or something.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Mrs AK-Bird-Brain said:
    Personally, I feed general poultry feed

Can you please give me a name of that feed? How long have you fed it to your chicks and chickens? Our feed store has something like that but I was really hesitant to buy it because it says it's for ALL ages ... that concerned me. Apparently it concerns others here too because the feed store had literally never sold a bag! I'd like to hear your personal experience.

Edited because I'm a dufus sometimes and can't put a good sentence together.​

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Dufus... I haven't heard that term in a while! [​IMG] Actually, no, I can't tell you... I dumped the whole bag in the feedbin and threw the bag away! :| Next time I buy a bag I'll try to remember to PM you...

My girls get a lot of extras... grass clippings, leftovers, scratch... that's why I get the all purpose general poultry feed and supplement with oyster shells. It's REALLY super expensive to buy feed up here - I spend more on feed than I do groceries, almost, so it's a financially driven decision more than anything. I'd be paying almost $40/50 lb bag for organic, which is the way I'd really like to go.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Dufus... I haven't heard that term in a while!

... so does that tell my age? [​IMG] Do I need to explain that to the younger generation here? [​IMG]

8. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    If you go to the feed store and ask them for a good layer pellet they can direct you. Different local mills make different brands. I use Purina Start and Grow for the chicks, and a local brand for the layer pellet. I use a 20% protein lay pellet. I know they sell the granulated stuff at TSC but I find that my birds waste less when they have pellets.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:... so does that tell my age? [​IMG] Do I need to explain that to the younger generation here? [​IMG]

You might! [​IMG] I wouldn't consider myself the "younger generation"... [​IMG] I used to use it a lot, back in the day! [​IMG] I don't even want to know what names our boys are using now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by