can they be confined?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rookie Raiser, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rookie Raiser

Rookie Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    i might get some ducks, but they would have to be confined due to predators. can they be confined? if so, how much space for 1-5 ducks??? what kind of housing/coop should i get, how big of a water tub should i get for them? any other info you might wanna add could help :)

THANKS!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, they can be confined. I have a nice Day Pen, and I also take the ducks for walks into fenced garden areas where I can be near them while I work outdoors. Let me find some photo's . . . they are around somewhere . . . be back in a few.

sigh

I uploaded the photo's then our internet connection went flooey.

Trying again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Sure they can! This is the setup mine have had since October 2012 (well it is still a little under construction in this pic, but you get the idea). Their former pen just sat on the ground and I had opossums trying to dig under and get in. Actually, one little one did get in one evening and the ducks promptly came inside and lived in my bathroom for a week until I got this pen built, lol (no one was hurt, thank goodness, just scared). This one is 12' x 16' and 6.5' tall, because I have mallards and wanted them to be able to fly, plus I wanted to be able to walk in it with them, and has 1/2" hardware cloth over every square inch of it...literally I don't think I can poke my index finger through anywhere on it. The hardware cloth extends underground and out about 8-12" inches to prevent digging predators. I use to go out and lock them up at night and then let them out in the morning but once I was sure this was safe I just leave them out in it all night (they have a house they can go in when/if they wish to). Then, like Amiga, if I am out in the yard mowing or gardening (which from about March to October I am in the evenings and most of the weekends), they are out running about with me.

[​IMG]

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Nice setup, cymbaline.

5. cymbaline

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Oh, and about sizing...I have 5 mallards now, and honestly I think if/when I get more I should extend the space, but maybe I'm just spoiling them, I dunno. 12' x 16' seems to be sufficient for these 5, although grass inside is a distant memory, lol. They do fine with a 5' kiddie pool, usually about 3 in it at a time to leave room to splash about and they take turns (big ol' Bullwinkle always goes first though, lol). Their new night time house is 3' x 4', which seems fine since they can come and go as they please, and I think I'll have room for two more girly-ducks in it. ;)

6. cymbaline

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Thank you Amiga [​IMG]

I think the roof needs a little work, but other than that I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Always something to tweak, seems to me. I am dreaming and planning of a new pen with a high-tunnel-like structure that can shelter ducks in the winter.

8. Rookie Raiser

Mar 16, 2013
    how many would a 10 X 10 dog kennel w/ house and pool and do ducks lay like chickens or do they need a drake?

9. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Ducks are great layers, no drake necessary! Let's see: 10'x10'=100 sq feet. From 100, you will want to subtract any square footage that is occupied by stuff, like a house or waterer, or feed platform. Then take what you have remaining, and divide that by... (Please help me out Duck People!)

(Now this part depends on how often they are confined!) All the time, that means that you need much more space per bird than a flock that is only confined at night. Here my pen is 12'x24'= 288 sq feet. I subtract the 2 outdoor houses, the straw house and my water patio, and I am totally at capacity with 12 ducks. And mine range during the not winter seasons. If you have an all female duck flock, I think you should be fine with 6. HTH

10. Rookie Raiser

Mar 16, 2013
    Ok perfect! I was only goin to get 5. Thanks so much everyone for replying and I love it set ups Amiga and Cymbaline!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by