Can they be sexed at 4 weeks?

mountainchickens

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Colorado
Hi! We have 17 chicks and 14 of them turned a month old this morning :D Time really flew since we got them... anyways, I was wondering if they could be sexed at 1 month! If so, I will post pictures of them! Thanks!

mountainchickens

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Colorado
There are 3 Polishes, a Speckled Sussex, 3 Hoover's Sapphire Olive eggers, a Cuckoo Marans, 3 Black Copper Marans, and three mixes (I think :D). I've heard Polishes are sometimes difficult to sex though.

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
There are 3 Polishes, a Speckled Sussex, 3 Hoover's Sapphire Olive eggers, a Cuckoo Marans, 3 Black Copper Marans, and three mixes (I think :D). I've heard Polishes are sometimes difficult to sex though.

As aart mentioned above as well Marans are usually pretty easy. I can often start picking out the roos by week 3 actually. In my opinion Speckled Sussex are also very easy and Olive Eggers are a toss up, sometimes they take after Marans in the bloodline and are also easy but I find some of the EEs are harder to tell. Polish you would definitely need to wait a bit longer though. I have pictures somewhere of my Speckled Sussex for sexing...

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
This is one of my Marans roosters as it developed and then a 5 week old speckled sussex rooster vs an 8 week old pullet. Hope that helps!

6-7-19 Marans Roo.jpg
Speckled Sussex Roo vs Pullet.jpg

Top Bottom