1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can they eat this thing?????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dbounds10, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So I caught this GIANT, [​IMG] Disgusting, harry, scarry mo-fo [​IMG] in my sunroom this afternoon. It rained like crazy last night and I guess it fell out of a tree or something. I have never seen one here in 12 years!!

Can I throw it in the run or will it attack and sting my girls? I know its a silly questions but its getting the AX one way or the other and thought it might be good protein. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I wouldn't. It's a spider, so they don't sting, but that particular kind has what are called urticating hairs. Imagine hairs with fish hook barbs. They are a defense mechanism used largely to prevent small mammals and birds from eating them.

3. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Excellent point, Gallo del Cielo! Chickens can eat spiders no problem, but *this* type, I wouldn't let them for the reason you've given. Their tender little faces would be vulnerable.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Especially the eyes! [​IMG]

5. You could always keep that spider and use it for amusement on the kiddos or the other half. Just for kicks.

Don't feed that particulay spider to the chickens though. Not a good idea.

6. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Thanks, never thought of that. Looks like this one is getting a ride on the rapids.....down the toilet for him!

7. Medicine Man

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Quote:Why not just relocate it? They do eat bugs.

8. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    That almost looks like a tarantula, maybe a juvenile? There could be a colony formed from escape artists or abandoned "pets"?

9. Medicine Man

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Quote:Could be, but I think they're simply native.

10. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    OMG - There better not be a colony of these things in my yard, I will have to either move or burn down my house! I am pretty sure it is a tarantula......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by