Can they eat whole dried corn kernels?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dawnsglory, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dawnsglory

dawnsglory Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I bought a bag of deer/squirrel corn. I thought it was like scratch ground up but it is whole. It is hard as a rock. I don't want to choke anybody. If any one also knows if my muskovies can eat it.

[​IMG]

If they can't eat it whole maybe i can grind it in my food processor.

Thanks for any of your advice. Dawn

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't keep ducks so can't answer on them, but my chickens eat whole corn with no problems whatsoever. (Heck, I've seen them swallow an adult mouse whole so a kernel of corn seems like nothing now....)

3. dawnsglory

dawnsglory Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    winter springs florida
    Thanks so much for the quick response. [​IMG] I would probobly ruin my food processor blade trying to chop them up.

4. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

theyll eat it whole but then they poop it out whole lol ive seen it happen not pretty haha;)

5. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2-50# sacks of whole kernel feed, that I was planning to use for trapping a couple of feral hogs, that have been leaving "signs" of their presence. But, I haven't gotten the traps built, and have seen no recent signs of the hogs. So, I was thinking that maybe, I could add the corn to the Chickie, Turkey, Guinea and Ducky's diet.
    Does anyone have a conclusive answer on corn being good, to feed to ducks? I know that the guineas and turkeys, need 28% protein, until they have grown out. But, we have a substantial bug population, and I believe they are getting well above that, with the combination of 28% protein feed, AND the bugs. So, a little corn, if ground up, might be good for them? I might burn up my food processor, but I think I can get it done. Makes me wish I still had my great grandfather's old coffee grinder. It would have milled that down, very well.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by