Can they eat......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hispoptart, Sep 11, 2011.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Themselves to death????? Ok so being a newbe, I want to know can chickens eat so much they die. Not so much food, but treats, because I swear when we feed them peas they would eat until they died. Also can they eat sunflower seeds in the shell? We have a 5 gallon bucket of them but I will not shell them for our chickens.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Just remember their biggest food amount should be the pellets or crumbles that have vitamin and mineral fortified, and offers a complete diet. If they start depending on treats, they won't want to eat their balanced food ration. And if they start begging for food constantly, a lot of the fun goes away. [​IMG]

3. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:^x2

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Chickens will not over eat. We give them food 24/7. They get treats 1-2 times a day. They forage for bugs, eat plants, grass and dirt. We never withhold food ever.

5. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Thanks, Mine do have free choice food and also get out once a day to free range for a few hours. They get treats during that time only. So what about the sunflowers seeds? Can they have those?

6. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Mine eat thier granuals all the time. I have it in the coop and I throw it in the run. They also love their veggies. Tomatoes, cukes, strawberries, grass, corn on the cob. Mine love blueberries the most!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    they can have them but if they are salted i would only throw out a handful every few days, or you can rinse them first....

8. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I know what you mean, we give the girls 1-2 hours of free range in the evening when we are out with them and they get some sort of treat at that time. I chopped up 1/3 of a cabbage last night and their crops were so full I dont know how they walked without falling over. After they polished that off, they went about the business of scratching around for bugs until they went to bed. We also have food for them 24/7 and they eat plenty of the layer pellets. I have 6 pullets and they go through a 50lb bag a month.

9. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Quote:These are unsalted grown by us. Was just wondering if the shells were safe for them.

10. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Quote:LOL On them falling over...I feel like that with mine, I have 4 and a 50lb bag lasts about 6 weeks and they are not wasting anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by