Can they Free range

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jmanvanatta, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Jmanvanatta

Jmanvanatta Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Hello i am thinking of getting a few Pekin ducks to free range i have a huge pond about 2 times the size of a foot ball feild and was woundering if they would be ok free ranging or if they would leave and what kind of shelter should i get thnx![​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, they can free range, but understand that in doing so they might be killed by predators.

3. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    if i was a duck i would choose free range with risk over confinement everyday. I mean life is risky to us but how many would choose being locked up safe all their life?

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would recommend building them a shelter and put their fresh water, and feed and dry hay for them. I would teach them to come in at night so you can lock them up at night.

A pekin needs shelter if you are thinking of just letting them be free range 24/7 they won't make it at all.

We have 2 ponds also, my ducks love it, but we had some bad times with snappers. We finally got rid of them all but they got a hold of a few off the legs of our ducks and we ended up having to put them down. So watch for that.

Our ducks free range from dusk to dawn, they go into their coop on their own at dusk and I lock them up for the night. Its a great way to also keep the eggs in a confined area and not spread all over the yard (however some will still do this). Ducks are a lot of fun! But they are a commitment!

5. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

We copied this coop for our ducks its a lot bigger than this one since we have 8 ducks. But if your only getting 2 this would be perfect! Our top lifts up for cleaning and grabbing eggs, etc

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    That's a nice coop, and is very large given that's a pair of geese standing inside of it. Very nice set up.

7. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes, thats the size we have for the geese, but we have a larger one for the ducks since they make a huge mess! :)

8. Jmanvanatta

Feb 16, 2012
    Thnx for the help guys i will just make that kind of shelter EmAbTo48! [​IMG] I am only getting 2 pekin and 2 campbells!Also i am on my 9th day of incubation for baby chicks![​IMG] This is going to be a great month!

9. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    I bought a trio of Khaki Campbells recently (aged over 6 months). I treated their home coming just as I did with my hens e.g. keep them confined to "home" for the first few days so they can de-stress and get used to their surroundings. I then let them out for the final hour of daylight and dh and I gently "herded" them back home. The next night, they found their own way to their home. So, the next morning, they were given FR access and were locked in their pen when *they* decided to go back.

Because we have urban foxes, we don't FR them when we are not around (same as my hens); but, when we are home, we are outside with them all the time (great for us; great for them).

Good luck with your chicks!!

10. Jmanvanatta

Feb 16, 2012
    Thnx! can you raise chicks and ducklings together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by