can they go outside at 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rita2paul, Mar 15, 2017.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    could my quails go outside in their house at 3 weeks old. i have hatched 18 quails never expected all the eggs that i placed in the incubator to hatch, so their indoor house is not really big enough for 18 quail that are growing very fast.
    their outside house is off the floor it's about 5 foot long and has two levels it has a felt roof and perspex all around the pen i will add a infrared heat lamp to keep them warm, but will they be warm enough.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not know about your indoor house, but I know 18 quail does not require alot of brooder space, but if you want them outside----Set your heat lamp for the proper floor temp on the heated end of this outdoor home, keep the breeze off them making sure there is no UP breeze coming from below the floor wire(I figure you have) and they should be fine. Up breeze can be controlled by hanging something around the bottom of the pen to the floor.

3. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    thank you for your quick response, the floor will be filled with hay. i don't like wire floor.
    i am just worried it might be to cold for them.
    today it's been glorious sunshine and nice and warm, but the nights it still gets cold.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    They will be fine then----even with the cold nights as long as the heat is right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by