Can they go outside now??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by btxchick, Nov 13, 2011.

1. btxchick

btxchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    I am thinking about puting my 4 week old chicks outside. I live in central TX so the next few days the forcast is for highs in 80's and lows in 60's. They've been without a heat lamp In the house for at least a week during some of the colder weather we've had and the temp in the house is 70 .Now it will be getting into the low 40's in a couple days. Their bodies are feathered out but they still have some fluff on their little heads. I already put some of my older chicks out in the coop so there will be 15 all together to keep warm, pine shavings and shelter from big drafts. I really want them out but I don't want to harm them by doing so!!!
    Any thoughts and opinions/experiences would be wonderful!!

Thanks bunches!

Anne

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I would wait one more week... to five weeks old.... but, that's up to you. Older chicks will pick on younger chicks you know... even with just a couple weeks difference (they grow so fast).
    Good luck.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I'm in Utah, so my babies are out with a heat lamp. I have an older pullet that is a couple of months old, she is doing fine with the two new ones that are sounding to be about the same age as yours. Still have some fluff on them. I let them out in the day as we are still getting into the 40's during the day. At night is a whole different story...low 20's. During the day, they love going in and out of their coop as they please. I shut my girls up at night in the coops.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Hey pauper.. what is that breed in your Avatar? Beautiful!

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I put my 5 week olds outside in 50* highs and 28-30* lows... we ahd a warm spell after a week of them being outdoors, but still 50-60* highs and low 30"s.... I did give them their ecoglow(radiant heat) but never saw them use it until this morning and only then for a few minutes....

Just offering my experience. You have to decide for yourself and your chicks what is best, my guess is they are more resiliant than we think.

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    I'm in your area (or at least I'm also classified as Central Texas) and they should be fine so long as they got a good bit of body feather on them. I have some 3 week olds that stay out during the day and come back in at night. Just watch the night time temps and if it does start to drop a bit, you might consider some sort of fire proof heat source or moving them back in just in case it does freeze.

7. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hi, I'm in Huntsville, Tx and our temps are nice too. I just booted outdoors, 8 RIR and the Rare Breed. (The freebie) They are almost 4 weeks, with a little fuzz on their heads. They have loved it in the sunshine, and stretching their wings. Now the night comes. I'm sure I'll be out at the coop many times tonight. I just love em.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have chicks that are 5 weeks old (may be six, I'd have to check the calender). They have been going out daily, to a wire cage in the chicken yard since they were two weeks old. I bring them in at night. As soon as we get their coop built, hopefully this week, they will be out for good.
    The reason for the wire crate is that most of my adult chickens ignore chicks, but a few of them have an issue with younger birds invading their space.

9. btxchick

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks for all the input!! I think I'm going to see how it goes and take them out today! It is a nice warm day and the night should be mild too. They all have grown up together so I don't think they'll be picked on. I just moved some of the older ones out last week because it was SO crowded in the brooder and I couldn't keep up with the mess.
    I agree that they are probably tougher than we think! It's just hard to make the decision because if somethig happens its so awful! Guess we have to let go at some point right??
    Thanks again, I bet they'll be excited for all the space and fresh air!

10. btxchick

Mar 7, 2011
    Since I know all are curious.... the move went well! They are happy with the space and some of the older chickens did chase them a bit for a couple days with an occasional peck at tail feathers but that has now subsided and there is no more than the usual family sqabbles. The smaller ones are no more worse for the wear for sure. I appreciate all the input and reassurance. They are truly tougher than we give them credit...most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by