Can they go up the ramp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, May 29, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    Since I've learned Silkies can't fly about 2 weeks ago, we built them a ramp to walk up into the coop. Goober, one of our White Silkies, can't jump up and flap here wings a little bit on the last step to get up into the coop. But neither of the Silkies Goober or Spirit, have managed to use the RAMP, at all. They haven't even set foot on it. And when I put them up on the ramp, near the middle of it, one of our Silkies (Spirit) just sits their and doesn't even move. Goober likes to either jump off or go up a few steps and just stop.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    Helloo.....?

3. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    Helllo1/!!?!?!?!??!?!

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I have no idea, as I don't have silkies and haven't built my ramp yet for my own 9-week olds, but those chickens are so cute! and great idea with using the hooks! I'm about to start on my own ramp, and I'm stealing it.

5. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    I would think they can go up or down a ramp. Probably they haven't figured it out yet.

Patience--- sometimes it takes a while to get an answer.

6. FiveHens

FiveHens Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    They are funny! Like little sitting pillows who don't know how to work the thing! I bet they'll figure it out-especcially with the help of your other chickens who appear to have more common sense [​IMG]

7. chickenriot

chickenriot Songster

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    What cute silkies !

Have you tried to bribe them with a treat of some kind ? Maybe a nice juicy worm or sprinkle some feed up the ramp.....

8. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I guess they can do it, they just aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. And yes, they are cute. [​IMG]

And I'll try and bribe them with some treat. [​IMG]

9. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    my silkies have learned to us the ramp although it took them a little while

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't have silkies, they are the most useless of poultry IMO. Not that I consider them poultry. They probably can't fly until that take on their "real" form as "Aliens" from another planet. I suggest you stop watching them as they won't make the change back to their "real" form until you aren't looking.

By the way don't forget to wear your "tin foil" hat when you are around them. They can read you thouhgts and scan your brain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by