can They live in my Country?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PillowdoKSA, Jun 21, 2017.

1. PillowdoKSA

PillowdoKSA New Egg

Jun 21, 2017
    Hello, I'm PillowDo I have a little Chicken not sure how old (younger then 4 weeks for sure) and I'm woundering can I keep him in doors Ecactly next to a window so he gets fresh air and the heat he needs? lol he is on my keyboard right now xD
    anyways its REALLY hot in my country (KSA --> Riyadh) you can google ower temp and tell me if i can keep him at my garden with a coop when he grows up? and how old does he have to be to go out live in a coop outdoors I got him some food from a pet shop it was for 1$ is that ok? he likes it too he has fresh water the same that I drink and I clean his water daily so its always fresh he REALLY likes me so hes friendly so my Quastions here is:.........
    can I keep him without a heating bolt? I never open the AC only my window is open so he gets some proper heat all the time and can I keep him at the garden? and if so, how old?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @PillowdoKSA :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your little chicken, we would love to see him?
    Also some photos of your garden - where you plan on keeping him.

I had to look up where you are located in the world:) If I found the right place it seems your daytime temperatures are around 108F right now. That is plenty warm for any chicken regardless of their age.

If your garden is fenced or there is a way to keep him safe from predators (cats, dogs, birds of prey, etc.) then I feel that you can put him outdoors now. You may want to make a shelter/coop for him for cooler nights, but he may not need heat even at night.

I'm not familiar with the type of feed available to you, so I can't comment on that - a photo of your bag may be helpful. It sounds like he is eating and drinking just fine. One thing that you want to do if make a source of grit available for your chick. Grit is usually made of crushed granite - if you have some course sand, dirt, small rocks/pebbles that you can place near him (he will find these naturally outside) this would be good.

I hope all goes well and look forward to your photos.

3. PillowdoKSA

PillowdoKSA New Egg

Jun 21, 2017
    Greetings, I talked to the Store Owner and asked him whats the 1$ made of he toled me 100% crushed Corn is that ok? and I will send you photos today Becouse I'm kinda confused how old he/she is + what Breed it is. And Thanks :D

4. PillowdoKSA

PillowdoKSA New Egg

Jun 21, 2017
    @Wyorp Rock
    and Can I stick 4 sticks on the ground then put a wooden floorand 4 wooden walls and a wooden roof all flat and easy simple as that
    is it good enough?

Edit: Typing mistake

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @centrarchid input?

Crushed corn can be good, it sounds like he is eating it. He does need a source of grit as previously mentioned. A growing chick will need a variety of nutrition, so offer him a little protein like chopped egg, fish, meat and a small amount of fresh vegetables/fruit in addition to the corn (I don't know what you have available:oops:). Since you have a garden that he will be kept in, he will most likely find some small bugs and plants to forage on as well.

If you have a neighbor/friend/family member that successfully raises chickens, you can also ask them what they give their chickens. They will eat just about anything.

A simple enclosure works well! Since you have a lot of heat, provide plenty of ventilation so it has air flow. Bedding can be sourced from your yard/garden if it's available - leaves, grasses, etc. Also consider placing the housing where it has shade.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you are new to chickens, then I suggest getting a proper chick feed. Show current pictures of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by