Can they live outside yet?

EmmyRoo

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2016
Bristol, RI
Hello! I am just wondering if my little chicks can go outside yet. They are 8 weeks old today and I live in New England the temp average here is around 30-50s outside. It is a covered run so there is no snow or rain in there. They have a small coop to house them in away from the rest of the flock. I just need them out of my hair in the house now.

Welcome to BYC, It is fine to put them out when they are fully feathered, I personally keep them inside at night until the night time temps are at least 50, but you can put them outside during the day.

Mine stay outside no heat after 4-5 weeks. If it gets like 20 or lower I give em a heat lamp. But this is just my opinion. You can do as you please with your chickens.

We don't have any heat lamps for them =/. But they should be alright even though it will rain this week? Thanks so much already. I just sent the losers outside to go play in their run, little do they know that that is their new home.

Hello! I am just wondering if my little chicks can go outside yet. They are 8 weeks old today and I live in New England the temp average here is around 30-50s outside. It is a covered run so there is no snow or rain in there. They have a small coop to house them in away from the rest of the flock. I just need them out of my hair in the house now.

Oh yes, beyond ready to go outside. Infact, they were ready at 4 weeks old. They are gonna be just fine with each other to cuddle with, as well as their own feathers to maintain body heat.

Good luck! :)

Ok. did you remove the lamp at all while they were still inside? or just put them out, no lamp during the day? I dont want to kill anyone.

I have 2 Buff Orp, 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Black Austrlop and 1 Wyandotte if changes anything.

Back
Top Bottom