Can they live outside yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmmyRoo, Apr 5, 2016.

1. EmmyRoo

EmmyRoo Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2016
    Bristol, RI
    Hello! I am just wondering if my little chicks can go outside yet. They are 8 weeks old today and I live in New England the temp average here is around 30-50s outside. It is a covered run so there is no snow or rain in there. They have a small coop to house them in away from the rest of the flock. I just need them out of my hair in the house now.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, It is fine to put them out when they are fully feathered, I personally keep them inside at night until the night time temps are at least 50, but you can put them outside during the day.

3. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Put them out just make sure they learn to go back in the coop at night.

4. EmmyRoo

EmmyRoo Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2016
    Bristol, RI
    Tonight it is supposed to dip down to like 27. I'm assuming I should bring them in?

5. TimCline

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Mine stay outside no heat after 4-5 weeks. If it gets like 20 or lower I give em a heat lamp. But this is just my opinion. You can do as you please with your chickens.

6. EmmyRoo

EmmyRoo Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2016
    Bristol, RI
    We don't have any heat lamps for them =/. But they should be alright even though it will rain this week? Thanks so much already. I just sent the losers outside to go play in their run, little do they know that that is their new home.

7. TimCline

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    As long as they have access to the coop, they should be smart enough to get out of the rain at that age.

8. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Oh yes, beyond ready to go outside. Infact, they were ready at 4 weeks old. They are gonna be just fine with each other to cuddle with, as well as their own feathers to maintain body heat.

Good luck! :)

9. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    For the transition, you can move the heat lamp each week, they can be moved into the coop once they are fully feathered, that depends upon breed too.

10. Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Ok. did you remove the lamp at all while they were still inside? or just put them out, no lamp during the day? I dont want to kill anyone.

I have 2 Buff Orp, 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Black Austrlop and 1 Wyandotte if changes anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by