Can they live together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrpekinduck, Dec 27, 2011.

1. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Hi, I have two full grown female Pekin ducks that live in a large coop and run in my backyard. In spring my dad said he would get me another duck for my birthday and I wanted to hatch and raise it. My question is if an Ancona duck, the breed that I want, could live happily with my two pekins once it is full grown? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yes, it would. I have a ancona hen with some welshies and rouens. they live very happily.

3. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Usually yes theres a odd time the older ones might be aggressive towards him. Usually with ducks though its easier to intergrate new birds into the current flock then chickens just keep a eye on them they should be fine.

4. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Yay thanks and it's ok to add only one right?

5. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I recoommend keeping the ducks outnumbering the drakes.

My ducks stay in their groups - not breeds. The first group I bought stays together and the second group I bought stays together. If you can get 2 more ducks, that would be best.

6. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Well if you can its better to add ducks since they add the added bonus of eggs aswell. You run into a problem of overmating if you have to many drakes per duck. Yes it should be ok just to add one.

7. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Ok good thanks and don't worry I don't have any drakes and I'm just going to hatch this one so we'll see what gender it turns out to be but either way it wouldn't matter I think they'd be ok with another hen or a drake.

8. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Well you have 2 females they might even be happier if its a boy and in the future if they go broody you always have the option then of letting them hatch the eggs.

9. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh that's good I don't think pekins go broody very often but hopefully I can get some babies! [​IMG]

10. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    They dont as often as other breeds but i have had pekins hatch eggs for me before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by