Can they see at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I looked in the books but couldn't find out. I turn the lights off at night now and leave a night light on. However, when I turn the lamp on to check on them.... they get up and eat like they are starving. So, then can they get to their food without light? If not, I will leave one on for them.

Thank you,
    Ellie

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I left the brooder light on for them for the first 3 weeks. They would eat all night and day. Unfortunately I have insomnia sometimes so I was up checking on them more often than they needed me to....

-S

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Mine don't get a light - and never have.
    They all cuddle down to sleep when it gets dark - and they're totally fine without having a light - they eat during the day and cuddle and sleep at night.

(I have a ceramic heater that emits heat not light - haven't used it for a while) my chicks are almost 4 weeks old. I'm not sure if they can see at night - but they don't really need to......

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  4. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    No, they can't see in the dark.
    They seem to have worse low light vision then people.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They can't see and it's instinct that they hop down at light to eat because they think it is day time.

6. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Aha! Maybe that is why they are tired... I keep them up by using a light. [​IMG]

I use a lamp in place of the heat lamp because their bedroom is pretty much 80 degrees and I just need that extra 10 in this, their second week. The heat lamp is too much now.

I will turn it off tonight, so they can sleep. It may get down to 80 but they seem ok and not huddled except when they sleep.

Thanks so much, better get to painting their coop. I can't wait to show y'all when I get it done.
    [​IMG]

Ellie

7. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I bet they'd be just fine without it - the extra light for heat - if you're temp is already 80! Mine were just fine below that temp, and they didn't bunch up or anything at night - I go in and check them with a small flashlight.
    My brooder has cardboard up the sides, and wood shavings - which helps to keep in the warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by