1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can they share a bedroom?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mudvstheory, Oct 3, 2013.

1. mudvstheory

mudvstheory Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    northern virginia
    Hi.
    I'm still planning ...

I am thinking about "dog-proof" enclosing a large run maybe 30x40 that includes 10x 15 garden bed sections with smaller fences and a compost section, and then have a coop in one section with controlled gate access to the garden sections. And a larger horse/sheep pasture outside.

But I am confused about separation. It seems like on the one hand, geese and muscovies and ducks and chickens can all be pastured together. But do they need separate coops? Am I going to have to herd each kind into their own sleeping quarters (or only the ones whose eggs I want?)? And then do the babies need more separate areas?

My plan is two or three adult American Buff geese with goslings in the warm weather, and similar for the muscovies, then maybe six to ten chickens, Delaware or Jersey Giant. And someday, ducks too. Is a 10x15 section big enough for all that? Sooner or later they will get stuck in there for a few days for weather or something.

We have foxes, hawks and owls, and I found a big snakeskin. But very few mice! There are likely weasels, including least weasels, in the area. It's northern Virginia, so the climate is mild, but it does freeze for a few days occasionally. A three sided shelter would be fine for weather, with some extra shade.

Thanks for your insight!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It is not clear what your questions are, but: the birds can be in the same coop.

Chris

3. mudvstheory

mudvstheory Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    northern virginia
    Thanks, that was the basic question! I get wordy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by