can they squeeze through?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jul 31, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    [​IMG]

Do I need to line it with cardboard or something so ducklings can't squeeze out, or will they be fine without it?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Oh, yes they can and will. Put a 3 day old into a cat carrier and it managed a 1 inch opening. Put cardboard to lightly woven mesh around it.

3. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I would also be concerned about what might be able to pull them out, as it looks like this cage is outside on a patio. I'd make sure the cage couldn't get knocked over either.

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Yep, they will be able to squeese right threw there. I use my dogs kennel (looks the exact same as yours) and both the chickens and ducks that I have brooded in the kennel have been able to get out. I cut open a cardbord box and line the cage with the box, creasing the box so it fits perfect with the cage. The box helps keep in the ducks and keeps the poo inside the brooder as well. From your pic, if you don't put something around that kennel you ARE going to have poo on that brick wall, floor, and chairs. [​IMG]

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    So it sounds like it would be better to find some cardboard instead of hardware cloth to go around the bottom.

And of course I have no cardboard boxes around when I could actually use them LOL

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I buy peanuts in large sacks in winder for the birds and whatever else comes around. I keep these bags and they are perfect for this kind of job.

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:You just need something to keep the poo in and the bedding that you are going to be using. YOu can go to a store and ask for some of there old boxes, there crushed boxes will work perfectly.

8. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I have a cage just like it - my four baby mallards could not only squeeze through but jump up to the top - I was horrified when one jumped up and got his head and one wing caught in one of the holes at the top of the wall! I used gift boxes and lined all four walls. The gift boxes were easier to cut, fold, attach than regular cardboard. I attached them with zip ties. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by