Can they stay in the coop for a day?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by klyra, Aug 22, 2014.

1. klyra

klyra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    My 3 hens (red sex linked) are 9 weeks old. They've been trying to roost in the trees, so I've been told to lock them in their coop for 4-5 days. Now I wonder, if I go away for the night can I actually leave them locked in for the day (not just when coop training them). I had been paying a teen neighbor to close them in and open them up in the mornings if I am away for the night.
    Thanks for the info!!

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    sure, they will be fine for a day in the coop as long as there is adequate room for them. no doubt they will be happy when u come home though

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think it depends on how big your coop is. If they have room to run around a bit and eat and drink, and it doesn't get too hot inside, then sure, it'll be fine.

But if it's just the kind of coop they sleep in, and it's cramped quarters, then I would probably have the teen continue letting them out and locking them up at night.

4. klyra

klyra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014

Its about 4 feet by 3 feet.. It has two nesting boxes.. Inside is about 3.5 feet tall, and it has perches. For three chickens. Is that enough space?? It has good ventilation and they often seek cover in there when its hot outside so it shouldn't get too hot ever.

5. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    yes for 3 hens it is big enough for a day indoors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by