1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can they stay out tonight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, Apr 21, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    They're fully feathered now at 5 1/2 weeks. It is going to be upper 40's tonight. is this ok? first night in the coop and I'm a nervous wreck!

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I just had my" first night out" last week. I too was a nervous wreck. I talked at length to a breeder that I know about this. I learned that if you kept them too warm(as I did) while in the brooder that their feathers would come in more slowly, so at six weeks mine were not fully feathered. My first mistake,not adjusting the temps as recommended. I lowered the temps for a week, then tried them out. They did great, she told me that if it went below 50 degrees that it would be a good idea to have a heat lamp out there. I've put the lamp in and have used it three of the nights. They seem fine and happy. Now if I could just stop worrying about predators...Good Luck.

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I haven't had the lamp on the min my basement for a week now. it must be less than 60* down there I'd think. so that isn't too much cooler.. I suppose they should be ok! i'm SO nervous!

4. Gardeningmama

Yeah, We're having their first thunderstorm. I just went out there, they are huddled up in a corner. I put the lamp on, and covered the whole thing with a blanket. I am soo.. tempted to bring them in, but I know they have to get used to it. Your babies will be great, at least it's not storming. Later this week it's supposed to get down to 36. I might bring them in then.

5. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    When I went out earlier to close the hens coop, someone in the chicks coop was making a trilling sound, she sounded content whoeever was doing it. I feel a little better now. but still nervous. they're just little and there is the big wide world out there LOL

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    mine are outside for the first time tonight. i too am a nervous wreck. i already have my flashlight ready because i know i will be making a few trips out there tonight. low 50s here, but they have been kept warmer than that. i've got a heat light for them, but it's not much. i hope they're going to be warm enought.
    i might have to wake hubby in the middle of the night to help me fix them up. he loves it when i do that. not.

7. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I would put their light out if I wasn't using it for another batch of chicks! they're just 4 1/2 weeks and not quite fully feathered out, but close. maybe I could take the heat lamp away from them downstairs and put it outside hmmm...

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Don't worry! Day old chicks survive with the body heat of adult chicks, and no lamp. As long as you have a few of them who are fully feathered and able to huddle together, they will be fine :)

I moved mine at just over 4 weeks, no lamp, and it rained and was cold the first night. They were so excited in the morning to already be outside it was ridiculous. And that evening, they put themselves to bed at 8 o clock. It's been great!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  9. Elleoz

Elleoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Fort Mill SC
    I am worried about my four 4 wee old chicks as well. This will be their 3rd night outside, but it is alot colder and rainy tonight. They have a stall-type coop with one exposed side. It is supposed to get down to 40 tonight. They are almost fully feathered and I put the heat lamp out ther for them. Last time I checekd it was @ 60 under the lamp. I might cover part of the front with a towel/blanket tonight to block any drafts. Ya'll think they will be ok?

10. Gardeningmama

It's cold wet and rainy right now, here in Southeastern Pa. I have a heatlamp and blanket out there, they seem fine. Tomorrow night and the next 3 nights it's gonna be around 35. I am bringing them back in then. I would rather have some stinky chicks inside than sick ones outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by