Can this be a bantam cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by perrycountychicken1, May 26, 2010.

1. perrycountychicken1

perrycountychicken1 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    During the recent Chickenfest we purchased a pair of Bantam Cochin pullets, when we arrived home with our bird we had the opportunity to get a closer look at the new girls. there is a stricking difference between the 2. One has feathered feet and the other does not, they look identicle in every other way. we are new to chickens and have no clue but i'm sure there is someone out there who does have an answer. Thanks

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Cochins certainly have feathered feet and legs. It is dominant, too so if even one parent has feathers it winds up on the chicks. I have never had a Cochin born with no feathers on the legs or feet, not even even a thin one.
    Post photos to help discover what your mystery bird is.

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I am interested in the answers to this one. I also have 3 bantam Cochins, and a fourth who looks a LOT like them, but with clean feet. We will see.

4. perrycountychicken1

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    Quote:i will post a picture later today when i arrive home. the birds are exactly the same in every other way. (size, color etc.)

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:I just had two Mottled Cochin chicks hatch a few weeks ago (from eggs I got in a swap [​IMG] ) - one hatched with an abundance of fuzz on it's legs/feet, and the other hatched with very thin fuzz on it's legs, and just little tufts here and there on the toes. They look very similar in every other respect and are maturing at the same rate. Now that actual feathers are starting to come in, there seem to be a promising number of pin-feathers emerging on little "Baldy's" legs and toes, so I'm holding onto him/her to see what happens. It could be that something during incubation/hatching just damaged the fuzz, and that it's not genetic (wishful thinking, I know). There's no chance either one of them is going in the breeding pen anyways, because I'm not a big fan of the Mottled color.

Anyways, I'll be watching this thread to see the pictures and to see what everyone has to say - maybe I'll get some insights on my little inadequately leg-feathered Cochin chick! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
  6. perrycountychicken1

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    my little girls feet look just like a regular chicks feet, no feathers, tufts, or anything that resembles the other chick.

7. perrycountychicken1

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    [​IMG]

there she is in the front. I'm looking for more pix

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. perrycountychicken1

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    [​IMG]

there are the 2 of them together

9. perrycountychicken1

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    [​IMG]

i promise that this evening when i arrive home there will be some better pix. thanks to everyone:)

10. perrycountychicken1

May 21, 2009
    Millerstown, PA
    Here a pictures of the 2 birds. Let me know what you think. Are they both Bantam Cochins or are they different?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me just add this, it is a curiosity for us. These girls are sweet. We're not looking to breed or show them, we have chickens as "pets" andd if we get eggs great and if not ... so what. Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by