Can this be MacGuyvered into a coop?

EverythingZen

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
AU
I saw this in the newest ALDI catalogue and my first thought was "coop!". I'm extremely limited with time to either build a good coop or a budget to buy a ready to assemble kit, so I've been on the hunt since forever ago for some kind of compromise.

My rough plans with this would be to get two (maybe 3?) kits and join them frame to frame so they form a tunnel type walk-through coop. Then chicken wire the front half/two thirds, and roof and wall the rear one for protection etc. I'd keep the shelves as handy nesting box shelves for the rear and perhaps even put potted chook friendly plants in the front shelves. Roosts could easily be assembled, and with its handy 6' height I'd not need to worry about egg access because a simple door at the front is the only access I'd need.

Dimensions are 195H, 143W, 76D. Footprint would work out approximately 5' x 4.5' if I only used two frames. Three frames would increase it to 7.5' x 4.5'. I'd also not include the bottom floor shelf so they can use the extra space for more scratching about. Frames are tubular steel, so pretty durable.

If you've got thoughts, suggestions, reasons why it's not going to work, etc, please reply!
IMG_2110.jpg

It's a greenhouse. Might get to hot..chickens don't do heat very well...the mesh is not very secure..sny predator can easily get in..and a chicken can get out. I had some screen doors on my enclosures and few holes were pecked into them...i think the shelf wood not hold up to chickens jumping on/off..potted plants will not last long in a chicken enclosure..chickens love digging/scratching..they will make short work of plants. You'd be better off buying fabricated screen wood doors ..and attaching them together for a enclosure.you can get them for about $30 a piece. You could also try wire panels. Tractor supply has them in 4ft x 8ft sections and u can get them with smaller openings. I also keep 36" high portable dog pens on hand..they can easily be configured and four would make a decent sized run $40 we section. I set these up to move around the yard ..they are my favorite

I'll put chicken wire over the front section and a roof and walls over the back section. If hardware mesh is the same as shade cloth, then yes I'll be putting that over, too. It's going to be put in a shady and protected part of the yard and will only be closed up at night. They will free range during the day.

I'll put chicken wire over the front section and a roof and walls over the back section. If hardware mesh is the same as shade cloth, then yes I'll be putting that over, too. It's going to be put in a shady and protected part of the yard and will only be closed up at night. They will free range during the day.
No shade cloth is different than HW cloth.
Chicken wire is not good enough, imo.
It will not keep predators out.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Acorn-I...ft-x-100-ft-Hardware-Cloth-HC248100/300180171

I'm thinking it will not be sturdy enough with out using some woods to frame it in.

I had this exact greenhouse. The structure is very light-weight. It won't hold up against winds of any sort. I anchored it into the ground with 2 foot long spikes, and had it tied to a fence. It went blowing across the driveway, completely mangled.
This is what I was thinking would happen...it just seems too light/flimsy for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom