Can this hen be saved? (Fox attack) (pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NHchicks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    She's my 2 yr. old hen, Cookie (the head hen). This morning she was wandering where she should not have been, and a fox tried to eat her for b'fast, but she got away. Now she has a large bald area with some nice holes in her rump. What should I do? She's walking around some, mainly staying under the deck.

Wish I had gotten better close-ups but she didn't let me too near before walking away again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    You should catch her and do a careful inspection- puncture wounds often get infected so it is important to flush them out with a saline solution and apply neosporin (non pain killer kind) If she is moving around well then hopefully she will be fine- chickens are remarkable healers! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    When you say saline solution, do you mean plain old salt water?

I could rinse her off with warm salt water, rub some neosporin all over wounded areas, and then just leave her, with no bandages?

4. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Clean the wound as best you can, (warm water and soap will do) and apply an antibacterial, (spray, paste, etc). If there isn't any internal damage, bleeding, etc, she should heal up pretty well. Don't cover it unless she's missing LARGE amounts of skin. Puncture wounds need to weep and drain. If you have an antibiotic you may want to put her on some as a precaution. Good luck [​IMG]

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Thank you! I'll run to the drugstore right now - hope they carry it. A spray on, all-in-one sounds easiest.

7. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Ew. I finally was able to get a little closer to her and see that she's also lost her neck feathers and has a nice gash taken out of the back of her neck. I was able to spray her back with the Saline Spray/Antibacterial, but then she ran. I'm going to have to round her up somehow later and spray her neck. She's not going to like that. It's tough to get anyone to help me hold an injured chicken around here, too. We're all kinda spooked that way.

That fox is not a very good hunter. He had a chance at her back and her neck, and yet here she is. Maybe he felt guilty. He should.

8. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Oh FORGET IT. My husband looked at the gash on her neck and said no way, he's culling her, she needs stitches not an antibacterial spray.

UGH.

After he culls, he's going to use her for bait in the trap to get the fox, who showed up yet again this afternoon but didn't get anywhere because we came down the driveway.

I REALLY HATE THIS PART OF KEEPING CHICKENS.

9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    If shes moving she will heal! DONT LET HIM CULL [​IMG] common... give her a chance ;(

10. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

If shes moving she will heal! DONT LET HIM CULL [​IMG] common... give her a chance ;(

I totally agree give the poor bird a chance!!! She just might surprise YOU!
    No need to cull unless there is no chancs that she can make a recovery!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by