Can This Hutch Be Used As A Temorary Coop??

lorain's fids

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
New Jersey
My chicks are 3 weeks old now and in the morning I have been bringing them outside and putting them into a rabbit hutch, and then I have been bringing them back inside around 7pm. My husband is in the process of building the coop and it "should" be ready within the next week. My question is, do you think the chicks could actually use the rabbit hutch to sleep in there at night also. I have a small roost in the enclosed section of the hutch, that they use during the day, and if needed I have plexiglass to put over the wire hutch "windows" .

99305_img_6676.jpg

this is the rabbit hutch I'd like to house them in

99305_img_6680.jpg

chicken coop to be

The rabbit hutch looks good to me! It also looks very preditor proof....very nice. In this warm weather, don't know that plastic on the windows is needed.

Gonna have a lovely coop too! You're chickies are gonna love it.

As long as it is COMPLETELY predator proof, I think it would be fine. I would never use an open coop in my area as the night time critters are just horrible. Check the hardware cloth, latches, flooring, ceiling and everything else to be sure it is all good.

I dont' know how cold it gets where you are, but you might need additional heat at night if it is getting below 70 degrees at night. You would only have to use it for a week or so just so they acclimate to the colder temps at night. And you wouldn't have to have an exact temp at night. Just some heat to snuggle under if they get cold.

But I see no reasons why you can't use it as a temp coop. Looks like the coop you are building will a great place for your chickens! Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom