Can this injured chick fully recover? Picture of healing wound.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thespinningcottage, Aug 28, 2010.

1. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Here is our chick hatched by our broody hen. The other 2 eggs she was sitting on had fully formed chicks that both died in the eggs. I was encouraged by advice I read where folks described their positive experiences with broody hens taking care of their chicks and keeping the other hens away if necessary. Now I know that my hens won't tolerate chicks, so this problem will never recur. The concern now is what to expect in the healing process of this chick. We didn't expect it would survive past the first couple of days, but a week later it's doing well. It still hasn't opened its injured eye, and I'm not sure if there is an eye in the socket or not. There has been no oozing from the closed lid at all. It's eating, drinking, pooping and trilling happily. The injured back is not weepy at all. I haven't put anything on it for the last 4 days. I guess I'm looking for advice from folks who have seen injuries like this, and wondering if there's any chance for a full recovery or if infection will ultimately claim this chick's life. At what point can we feel we're out of the woods? Thanks for any advice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Looks good actually....if there's no weeping. oozing, or smell. Not sure by looking at the pic if the chick actually has an eye there...even if it doesn't, it can survive & function with 1 eye. I would suggest a round of antibiotics ASAP if you havent yet done so. Good luck!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think he/she should do well... I've seen a lot worse. [​IMG]

4. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    It looks like the little guy will make it. I have a rooster who is blind in one eye, and he is now at least 6 years old and does fine. Have you put anything on the wound? Neosporin or anything? I would give him some poly-vi-sol (without iron) for an extra boost, but he should probably be fine.

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    your doing good... He will make it.. If you want to give him a pain reliever... vitamin C works well.

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have not heard about the use of vitamin C as a pain reliever....please tell more...
    Quote:

7. thespinningcottage

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I have done the neosporin and the vitamin water additive. Since there's no infection at the moment, I guess we'll just continue to watch and wait. This morning there even seems to be some downy growth on the edges of the back that wasn't there before. I appreciate all the responses. I'll post another picture in a few days with an update. [​IMG]

8. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    If he is not in with his mama - does he have something (stuffed animal?) to snuggle with?

He (or she) looks like a real sweety! [​IMG] Good luck!

9. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Something my local chicken expert suggested was horse colostrum. I gave it to my girls when we were dealing with cocci and I think it really helped. It was sold in a large syringe and I would just put a drop or two in the water.
    Good luck!

10. thespinningcottage

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Quote:Oh yes, at the other end of the tank under the heat light there is a fluffy scrap, but he/she seems to prefer to nestle in the bedding. I thought that since he did spend a day and a half under his mother that he might like to burrow under something, but no way! He wants his back exposed apparently. Since he trills and moves around the tank freely without peeping and crying, I honestly don't think he's in pain other than not wanting the wound touched. I gave him scrambled eggs and he wasn't interested in that. He's all about the chick crumbles, which of course are medicated. Whatever this baby wants, he can have!! Oh, I have noticed that as he walks he steps very high - he goose-steps! I suppose that's because he doesn't have any depth perception with only one eye. He moves slowly and deliberately, constantly turning his head around to peer with the good eye. I think this is truly a testament to the will to live that all creatures are born with. We found him absolutely bloody and flung into the corner of the coop, barely moving. How is it that he survived?? What a little fighter! Thanks for all the replies. Agnella, when I go out later today I'll see if TSC has the colostrum. Thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by