Can this pullet be a Jersey Giant?

Pullety

Songster
Nov 3, 2020
Rural Western Canada
I have three Jersey Giant pullets, 4.5 months old. One of them has a darker face and comb than the other two.
00CB5F88-8635-4177-AEF7-F79852F2470A.jpeg

The other two have lighter faces and more red combs.
1D92DD18-80B0-4F9A-9338-F5D0D15D4C85.jpeg

Can a Jersey Giant have these features? She was also a lot smaller than the others but seems to have caught up.

I confirmed she has yellow under her feet.
5E98AD11-733B-41E8-AC50-DB19C51E6A85.jpeg

Also, I’m attaching a picture of her iridescence compared to my black Australorp (on the left; Jersey Giant on the right). (I can’t see a difference with my naked eye but this is what my camera reveals).
A30EA5EC-6CD2-4ADB-AF01-3FBE9E6FBEF5.jpeg

Any thoughts??

Attachments

• 2AEDFBAE-3DED-4CFF-89AE-EABA55B9B4C4.jpeg
    2AEDFBAE-3DED-4CFF-89AE-EABA55B9B4C4.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 11
The dark in the face can't tell the breed, sometimes can happen in hatchery quality birds.
Though, the difference that can be found more easly is the colour of the bottom of the feet. JG have yellow and Australorps have pinkish-white.

We have raised several BJG from a long time breeder. Yours look nice! Yes, a BJG can have the black (not red) face and comb while immature. They are a slow-to -mature breed, even if they are large and you think they are grown -it takes them 18 months to be fully grown*. We have had one female that kept her dark face and comb until around 5-6 months old.

* we butchered a male BJG at around 6 months old and he was quite meaty, with a big frame. Not at all fully grown, and his testicles were quite small bc he hadn’t reached puberty yet. The other male butchered at same time, was a different breed but same age. That other male had huge testicles comparatively and had clearly reached puberty based on behavior.

The dark in the face can't tell the breed, sometimes can happen in hatchery quality birds.
Though, the difference that can be found more easly is the colour of the bottom of the feet. JG have yellow and Australorps have pinkish-white.
Okay that’s what I was trying to find out, if it was a deal breaker. Thank you.

We have raised several BJG from a long time breeder. Yours look nice! Yes, a BJG can have the black (not red) face and comb while immature. They are a slow-to -mature breed, even if they are large and you think they are grown -it takes them 18 months to be fully grown*. We have had one female that kept her dark face and comb until around 5-6 months old.

* we butchered a male BJG at around 6 months old and he was quite meaty, with a big frame. Not at all fully grown, and his testicles were quite small bc he hadn’t reached puberty yet. The other male butchered at same time, was a different breed but same age. That other male had huge testicles comparatively and had clearly reached puberty based on behavior.
Interesting! Thank you for the information.

Back
Top Bottom