Can too many roosters be the cause of infertility?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taprock, Mar 23, 2013.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

This seems a strange question so let me give you a little back ground. I am in northern Michigan where we are still buried under feet of snow. I have 62 chickens divided into 2 coops. 15 of them are roosters. Yes you read it right. The large coop has large fowl and a couple bantams who are tough. The small coop has bantams and a couple wimpy large fowl and it works well. They are free range but most are very confined right now because only a few like the snow. They all get along with an occasional scuffle. All winter I have only had one bloody incident. I have so many because I have several trios of different breeds that I will divide out into small breeding pens once the snow is gone. I have them all together now for warmth, ease in watering since everything is frozen, and less snow removal for me. I have incubated twice this winter and the fertility rate has been low to none. I know I have enough roosters but am wondering if they just aren't finishing their "work" because they are thinking there is competition. Any ideas?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    My guess is that the roosters are chasing each other around and maybe hiding behind some ladies....In other words, attention divided. You won't necessarily see fighting just movement.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by