Can too much cleaning be bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarah727, Aug 4, 2014.

1. sarah727

sarah727 Hatching

Aug 4, 2014
    Lancaster, PA
    I like to keep a clean coop and I clean it(pick up any poop, wipe perches, refresh waters) daily with a semi bigger clean once a week. I personally don't think the girls mind and some even lay eggs right there while I'm in the coop with them! HOWEVER the person I share these chickens with claims my being there disturbs them and hinders egg production. I just want some feedback from a group of people with chickens...good place to come! This is our first time
    Raising chickens we have all girls and have had 15 from 2 days old
    Til now and they are almost 2 years old...any answers will be appreciated

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    BULL!!!!! ... I clean nesting boxes each morning, I do a full coop rake out twice a week and as you do, scraps poo off roost.. I have found it keeps the flies down and I just cant stand the filth... I am gathering 20-25 eggs a day out of 25 laying hens, and four of those hens are 3+ years old! I have realized most mornings the girls are used to my habits, I am out there usually by 6:30 -7 AM once in a very great while there might be an egg before I get out there, But they have become used to my habits and typically wait until I am done in the coop then they start heading in..

Cleanliness does not hinder egg production period! I think its more your chicken sharer feels a bit ashamed because they aren't as OCD as some of us are LOL

3. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I am in my coop and run several times a day and use that time to scoop the poop, scrape a perch or jungle gym, check water and/or sit in a chair and just keep the chickens company. My chickens are always excited to see me and like to interact with me - hopping up on my lap or shoulder, etc. I squat down and use a stick to dig through a pile of weeds and soil for worms (in their kiddie pool) and they all come running to scratch and dig and see what I am doing. I believe they like the interaction and enjoy the company. It prevents boredom and keeps them active.

4. valjean

valjean In the Brooder

May 18, 2014
    East Texas
    I have 4 chickens (20 weeks, not laying yet). First time chicken keeper myself. I sweep up the poop at least twice a day in the run (can't stand flies), refresh their water, maybe give them an extra pan of water with ice, treats, hang out with them while they free-range, etc. I think they like the interaction judging by their behavior, and I can't imagine it would cause any problems. When they start laying I will leave them alone when they are in the nest boxes, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: