Can too much finely cracked corn make ducks ill.........Will they die?

feather2

Songster
11 Years
Nov 28, 2008
north haven, ct
I have two runners that are about 4 years old and never had a problem. This past weekend the pet sitter gave them almost 90 percent (ugh) cracked corn and when I got back Sunday night they were acting strange and didn't come running for their peas. Now they have not eaten for two days and barely stand up anymore. Is there anything I can do? Has this happened before? Needless to say the pet sitter did not follow the explicit instructions and will not be coming back. HELP

I have two runners that are about 4 years old and never had a problem. This past weekend the pet sitter gave them almost 90 percent (ugh) cracked corn and when I got back Sunday night they were acting strange and didn't come running for their peas. Now they have not eaten for two days and barely stand up anymore. Is there anything I can do? Has this happened before? Needless to say the pet sitter did not follow the explicit instructions and will not be coming back. HELP
Sounds almost like foundering maybe they are blocked up, Whats their poo look like? will they drink water? If they are blocked up you could offer them some molasses in their water it acts like a laxative, you use it for botulism also, given only for like 4 hrs straight. Poor babies just got too much of a good thing. Have you looked at the corn to make sure it wasn't moldy?

It could also be due to temporary deficiency in nutrients. I would defiantly start adding vitamin in their waterer.

Last edited:
I bought the corn from Agway less than a week ago and it looks fine (I keep it in a covered metal container). They occasionally will take sips of water, but will not eat anything else. The pooh is pretty watery, but then sometimes it is when they were healthy. I will try the molasses. Thanks for your response.

I will mix them up some electrolytes also......didn't even think of that. I rubbed their necks to try to get rid of any blockage, but that didn't work. So Hard to see them this way.

I bought the corn from Agway less than a week ago and it looks fine (I keep it in a covered metal container). They occasionally will take sips of water, but will not eat anything else. The pooh is pretty watery, but then sometimes it is when they were healthy. I will try the molasses. Thanks for your response.
Here is a link for treating for Botulism so you can use the right measurements https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/582306/how-to-treat-botulism also maybe Kevin is right but what would you do for something like that K? do you have Poultry vitamins on hand, I would give them also. Please be sure you want to do the treatment with molasses as it could make it worse.

Here is a link for treating for Botulism so you can use the right measurements https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/582306/how-to-treat-botulism also maybe Kevin is right but what would you do for something like that K? do you have Poultry vitamins on hand, I would give them also. Please be sure you want to do the treatment with molasses as it could make it worse.
I honestly don't know ML. Besides the the vitamins and making sure they stay hydrated I don't think there is much more the OP could do. Some ducks take to wet food better when they are sick so that may be worth a try.

The three runners we bought three weeks ago were only (!) fed with a little cracked corn and absolutely NOTHING else! I had to develop a feeding plan (1 part pellet + 1 part wheat + 1 part cracked corn, with the corn is reduced a little every day) to make them healthy. They looked like crackheads, very skinny, no meat at all, trembling, "stepping" wit their foot while standing. Truth is that corn is full with carbohydrate (80%), has a very high glycemic load - it pushes the blood sugar level to the sky, but not enough protein and vitamines in it (0% vitamin C and 0% B12). Parallel if you feed a child with M&Ms only.

IMHO only time they should have corn as part of their daily diet is in the winter, just before bedtime to make fuel for the coldest nights.
Or if they are meatbirds, and even then corn is not healthy.

Hempseeds were given to them (2% carbs, 73% fat in different Omega fatty acids), also it gives a calming warm sensation in their belly, reducing the sugar withdrawal symptoms. Despite the brand new surrounding they were sleepy too for a while. Various vegetables can raise their interest.

Had they be given enough water? It can be constipation which - as I heard - can be cured with a spoonful of olive oil, but let's hear the experts. I hope they will be fine soon.

I gave them the vitamins (in their water) and the drake took a couple of sips but Rita would not even get up, so as per the suggestion I also put a flat bowl out with duck pellets watered down with the vitamin water. I'm losing hope for Rita. Crossing my fingers she'll be okay. Thanks for all the help.

I gave them the vitamins (in their water) and the drake took a couple of sips but Rita would not even get up, so as per the suggestion I also put a flat bowl out with duck pellets watered down with the vitamin water. I'm losing hope for Rita. Crossing my fingers she'll be okay. Thanks for all the help.
One thing you have to be careful of when wetting feed is it can mold very quickly in the heat so don't leave it out more than a couple hrs. Then maybe try again with fresh. I hope they come out of what ever this is.
fl.gif
What do their crops feel like could they be impacted with the corn? are they hard feeling and big for not have eaten in a couple days or soft and small?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom