Can too much green grass turn slate blue legs white?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horsecrazychicklovingkid, Sep 22, 2011.

1. We free range our Ameraucana chickens and they eat lots of grass. Some have very pale legs, some pinky white. I know they are supposed to have nice slate blue legs. Could too much fresh green grass make their legs white? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I don't thinks so.............. it's more a matter of genetics, if your birds are hatchery stock you may have your answer. Plus EE's have lot's of mixed blood anyway, the whole.... box of Chocolates theory.

3. Quote:I don't thinks so.............. it's more a matter of genetics, if your birds are hatchery stock you may have your answer. Plus EE's have lot's of mixed blood anyway, the whole.... box of Chocolates theory.

Nope, not EEs, these are purebred Ameraucana chickens.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Where'd ya get'em ??

5. Quote:Two well-know breeders.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    As the EGG laying cycle winds down some hens will lose LEG color or it fades. During the molt and as they begin to lay again the LEGS darken up. Is it just with the hens?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Legs not eggs. [​IMG]

It's just a genetic/color thing, nothing to do with diet. My Ameraucanas eat more grass and weeds than most, and they've got normal slate legs.

8. Quote:No, cockerels, cocks, hens, and pullets. I'm having it with young and old.

9. Quote:Legs not eggs. [​IMG]

It's just a genetic/color thing, nothing to do with diet. My Ameraucanas eat more grass and weeds than most, and they've got normal slate legs.

Some of ours have excelent slate legs, while others have light whiteish slate legs.

10. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Chickens usually will not eat too much grass but there are certain plants that can have adverse effects on chickens and maybe leg color is one of the symptoms. Were they all slate originally?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by