1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can too much nutrition cause a chick's feathers to grow outward

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blackberry18, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    One of my Light Brahma chicks has wry neck, so I've been treating her with vitamins, since wry neck is usually a Vitamin E deficiency. I noticed that she was growing feathers faster than the others, and so I assumed it was because she was getting more nutrition than the rest of the chicks. But, today, I saw that a couple of her feathers were sticking outwards, away from the body. There were a few mild ones on her shoulders, and a really noticeable one on her wing. Is it because of all the vitamins she's getting? They are about three and a half weeks old.

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I'll be interested to see what people say because my 18 week old Australorp just had a feather come in sticking straight out.

3. sonyaglisson

sonyaglisson New Egg

Feb 27, 2016
    Feathers contain protein and are more easily grown when laying. The feathers will open as the chick develops. So i don't think it is because of access protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by