Can turkeys be forcefeed like waterowl ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by razvanM, Feb 19, 2013.

1. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Can turkeys be forcefeed like waterowl ?I have been forcefeeding a lot of geese and ducks,and they are easy to forcefeed because they can breathe with a tube in their throat,they gain weight quicly,and tthe whole process takes only a few seconds.Do you think I can fatten turkeys in this way too ?I am curios because of their anatomy waterfowl can breathe with a tube in their throat,cuz their traheea opens in the center of their tounge not on the back of their neck like a human one would open.Also do you think it is possible to produce turkey foie gras ?

2. Christabelle

Christabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Dayton NV
    From what I've read. The livers of geese and ducks get fatty like that because they migrate. I don't think there would be much of a benifit to force feeding a turkey. I think the hybrids (broad breasted) force feed themselves anyway... But who knows? My only experience with foie gras is what I have read on the Internet.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Don't do that

4. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    In my region is a tradition of forcefeeding them with walnuts and giving them rum to drink,But I want to try forcefeeding one with corn.But as you say turkeys dont migrate so I dont think I will get a big liver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by