Can two mother hens and their chicks live in the same area?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Forest Cantina, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Forest Cantina

Forest Cantina Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    I am completly new to baby chicks!

I have two hens - one, my bantam Orpington has five 1 week old Barnevelders chicks and i have a broody Araucana hen who we just moved tonight onto 12 Silver Laced Wynadotte eggs.

My question is - can they all live in the same area, sleep in the same coop and share the same run area?
    - The two hens have never lived together before (the Oprpington is borrowed from my brother)
    - The Araucana is a bit crazy, but isnt the top chook of the flock
    - the chicks will be about 1 month in age differance.

Any advice would be so appreciated :) thank you![​IMG]

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My first thought is no. The mothers may fight. They may also attack each other's chicks. It is possible by a month that the older chicks and mom will have separated from each other, but even so, the new mom will be very protective of her chicks and may attack the older chicks. I would watch them very closely.

Good luck!

3. Forest Cantina

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks for the reply :) I think ill keep them seperate. They can all see each other and the main flock but might pay to keep them in their own areas.

Then at 4 months old do i just let them join the others?

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    They should be old enough by then. There will still be some squabbling as they find their place in the pecking order, but it helps that they were seen by and able to see the flock all this time.

5. Forest Cantina

Oct 24, 2013
    Awesome, thank you [​IMG] yes they are right next to the other girls andthey can see each other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by