Can two roosters live together?

BlueBantam Farms

Chirping
May 22, 2021
I have about 4-5 baby roosters, all in the same brood, and I would like to keep 2 of them. They are usually tame breeds, and I have 10 hens. Could 2 friendly roos work with this amount of hens? The breeds I want to keep are Lavender Orpington and a shy, small Silverrudd splash

Last edited:
I have about 4-5 baby roosters, all in the same brood, and I would like to keep 2 of them. They are usually tame breeds, and I have 10 hens. Could 2 friendly roos work with this amount of hens?
I would not recommend it. You could switch out one rooster at a time; or else the hens will not be enough if you have standard size birds.

In my experience, yes! I have 10 hens and 2 roosters. They have a large coop and run which should comfortably house 25 chickens, there is also lots of nesting boxes and roosts so hens can have their quiet time.

I must stress you HAVE to monitor your hens' wellbeing. If they have missing feathers or are constantly being hassled then your roosters are not compatible for that amount of hens and you need to separate one ASAP.

Btw, they are free range during the summer,
Our flock also free ranged, but from my own experience (it may just be our rooster), we have 1 rooster to 13 hens and they are getting overmated . We bought some chicken aprons for them, but their heads and wings are still vulnerable to his attacks. He is a nice rooster (does the chicken dance, call the hens to eat, drops food for the hens, does not really attack us that much, but he mates too much).

If they’re raised together you can keep them around but once they hit maturity you may wanna move/separate/sell/give away/cull/downsize cockerels.
If you don’t currently have any other space for them to roam.*

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, yes! I have 10 hens and 2 roosters. They have a large coop and run which should comfortably house 25 chickens, there is also lots of nesting boxes and roosts so hens can have their quiet time.

I must stress you HAVE to monitor your hens' wellbeing. If they have missing feathers or are constantly being hassled then your roosters are not compatible for that amount of hens and you need to separate one ASAP.
Thanks! I have them free ranging all summer while we do yearly repairs to the coop, and we are working a bigger run.

Our flock also free ranged, but from my own experience (it may just be our rooster), we have 1 rooster to 13 hens and they are getting overmated . We bought some chicken aprons for them, but their heads and wings are still vulnerable to his attacks. He is a nice rooster (does the chicken dance, call the hens to eat, drops food for the hens, does not really attack us that much, but he mates too much).
Yeah, same thing with our old rooster. We hatched a new brood with 1 Roo and he’s a better mating bird but he attacks me constantly

Back
Top Bottom