Can Two Roosters Live Together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    We have two very friendly roosters that we cannot keep in our neighborhood, but my mom has offered to keep them at her house (where she can!) if we dont' find them a home. They have lived together for at least 3 months....no problems. Will it be an issue to have them spend out the rest of their natural lives with just the two of them?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Without ladies around, they might be perfectly fine for the rest of their lives together. [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I think they ought to be just fine, as long as they have each other. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The answer is a firm maybe. With no hens present they may be best buds for the rest of their lives, or they may wake up one morning and say "I don't like you." If the latter scenario takes place, all heck could break loose. It is definately worth a try.

5. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thank you! If we can't find them a home, I will definitely give the boys a try!

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes unless they are game rooster........once the pecking order is set.

7. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Nope, not game. One is a BO and one is a barred cross... both very sweet boys

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly, you can house over 20 roosters and have them get along. . [​IMG]

Shown here are just 6 out of over 12 cockerels I have in a bachelor pad. No problems for 5 months now.

[​IMG]

9. peacedove

peacedove Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2008
    Dexter, Oregon
    I have a 2 1/2 yo Salmon Faverolle, 1 1/2 yo Cuckoo Marans (and they have been together over a year), and a son from each of them from this past spring and they are all getting along fairly well surrounded by an assortment of hens. But that is not to say there haven't been others that weren't accepted. So far this is the first son of the Salmon Faverolle that he has accepted. This one is mixed with a Blue Andalusian. All the others were mixed with Egyptian Fayoumis, and they were more aggressive.

I have also seen other people with rooster both free range and penned together that seemed to have an understanding and basically left each other alone.

So there is definite hope the roosters will continue to be friends, even surrounded by hens.

10. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    They should be fine. I have 11 roosters all over a year old together with hens and the get along fine usually. My oldes roo which is also one of my smallest roos sometimes chases the other roos around when they try to mess with the hens but that is about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by