can u let chicks roam around??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by plymouthrockFarm123, Aug 11, 2008.

1. plymouthrockFarm123

plymouthrockFarm123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    my brown sex link pullets are 2 weeks old and are trying to fly they are pretty big too can i let them out of the brooder and wander around and put them back in the brooder or let them stay in the coop and put my other chicks in there brooder???

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    If the coop is insulated, draft free, and if you can put a lamp for heat in it, then they can go into the coop.

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    As long as it was warm out, I let mine run around. Be warned though, keep a CLOSE eye on them. They're slippery little buggers!

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    as long as its warm and keep them away from the older birds

5. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    when my chickens were baby's I had them in a homemade brooder box, so I used to clean out their boxes everyday or every other day...While I was cleaning the boxes out, I let them run around and they loved it, fortunatly the weather was good I got mine in late April. They all did well then at about 5 weeks they were out in the coop and I prob coudl have put them out at 4 weeks but didn't want to try it...

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Its been in the 80s and 90s when I let my little ones out. Never an issue. They were iffy about grass, but were too scared to run far from me.

7. plymouthrockFarm123

plymouthrockFarm123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    ok thnx

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    when its warm out

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by