Can used coops carry disease?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Serama Mama 4, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    I want to buy a used coop and runs. Can they harbor diseases from the prior chickens? If so how can I prevent exposure for my birds? can they be disinfected adequately and how?

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Yes they can carry disease. It would be best if you do a thorough cleaning with a bleach and water solution. Scrub completely then let it air dry thoroughly.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I've bought used coops and yes they can carry diseases, but I bleach the heck out of them.

I used a cleaner jar with my hose and spray really good. Do some scrubbing with soap and water and them spray with bleach and water again. Let it dry out really good.

I also paint them on the inside once they're dry and use a disinfectant again once that dries.

Then add birdies.

I have a thing about disease and I'd rather over due than under do.

It usually takes me a few weeks to do this, because I figure if it's bleach cleaned and left to dry anything that was there will not be after a month.

I guess you could say I quarentine them.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    They can also carry mites and fleas .A good spraying for insect, wait at least a day or two then scrub them on every inch. They can destroy your entire flock. Wire does not like clorox and will rust terribly. I found that out the hard way. Gloria Jean

5. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Wolftracks, I'm there with ya on the disease thing but if you do a thorough cleaning with bleach and water and then let air dry there will be nothing living on the surfaces you cleaned. Bleach kills everything. The key is to let it air dry.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Bleach kills most everything except coccidiosis--that takes ammonia. If I got a used coop, I'd bleach the heck out of it, air dry, then use ammonia, then air dry again, then I'd saturate every crack and crevice with Orange Guard, an orange oil based insecticide that smells great and is safe to use around chickens (not on them, though).

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Well OK then!

This is what I'll be doing from now on. LOL

Where can I get Orange Guard?

I usually use Sevin

8. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Thanks for the ammonia tip. I was unaware that bleach doesn't kill cocci.

9. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    How long do diseases live on wire? I don't want to ruin the wire with bleach, but I don't want sick birds.

10. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    The wire exposed to air and ultraviolet light wont have anything harmful in harmful concentrations. If you really want to be safe, a 10:1 concentration of bleach/water mix is totally safe around higher life forms like plants, chickens and people. If you want to go all out, clean with TSP or Dirtex mixed with bleach and water. That will clean everything and get it ready for a coat of paint after 4 days of drying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by